Opportunities to indulge, travel plans, and a change of routine all make the spring and summer months a special time of year. There are many happy moments to share however these can also become times of stress, and contribute to inevitable sickness. Here are some tips to stay healthy during these happy moments:
Acknowledge and Manage Stressors
Preparations for special occasions, meeting expectations, and busy schedules can all be sources of stress. Ways to alleviate the stress include:
- Make sure you get enough sleep.
- Acknowledge stressors (such as people, events) by slowing down, setting realistic expectations, and notice how stress affects you.
- Adopt a predictable routine.
- Some herbs, vitamins, and mindfulness are helpful to increase the body’s resilience during stressful times.
- Adaptogens” can help the body combat stress – an example is Astragalus, a useful herb to prevent infection and improve your body’s resilience to stress.
- Certain B vitamins, vitamins C and D are also useful for improving our body’s response to stress.
Speak with a qualified health care provider before taking any natural health products such as vitamins and herbs since they are not suitable for everyone.
By acknowledging and managing stressors, along with adopting moderate behaviours, your spring and summer celebrations will be more enjoyable. Naturopathic medicine can also help you improve your body’s resilience during times of stress.
About Naturopathic Medicine
Naturopathic medicine is a complementary and integrative approach to primary health care aiming to address the cause of disease while supporting your body’s ability to heal itself. Naturopathic medicine is covered by most extended healthcare plans.
Teresa Tsui practices at the North York Seniors Centre on the first Friday of the month, improving the quality of life of seniors. To schedule an appointment, please call: (416) 733-4111.